3 May 2018

An Equal Standing, Not A Privilege

"Everyone is having fun except me. Please Mommy, please bring me home. Please get me out of here now". C muttered between uncontrollable sobs.

As I pleaded for him to stay, I cried too. I felt his pain but I also see the deeper truth behind his meltdown.

Granted the world is never fair, our child, who is forced to work harder in every aspect just to fit to keep-up, is often hit with more disappointments. He will always be the one at the back/side of class/presentation/celebration. He can be the loudest but not be heard. As much as he screams "Pick me! Me! Me! Me!", he will never be chosen to go on stage (because he can't).

How much disappointment can a child take before it turns painful? I often ask myself. The helplessness, the anger, the hurt... how did C stayed strong for so long?

Once in a blue moon, he would break down in tears telling me "Mommy if you die, please take me with you because I do not want to be alone."; "Mommy, I am so useless. Please throw me in the rubbish bin". And today's plea seeking the comfort of his home, to run away from the pain. It's heartbreaking.

All it takes is for one to make a difference. One S.E.N.S.I.T.I.V.E. being. That one classmate to stand up for him, to stop others from blocking his view, to tell them "pick him instead". That one kind soul to open up a pathway in the crowd. That one figure to make things accessible. Then all is possible.

Till then, we will continue to persevere. I will continue to help him carry out his duties for his time here - to bring people together, to create laughters and to teach compassion & kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment