16 May 2014

Weight Issues

It had been more than a month since my last post. Like many had said, no news is good news.

C had been well so far, no major concern except during our last visit to KKH, Dietitian commented that he was underweight. Being his caregiver, I knew this was coming. We had been desperately trying to improve on the situation for a while now. C was also probably going through the "milk and food strike" growing-up phase. His milk intake took a plunge for no particular reason and was just more interested in play than food. Otherwise he was all well and happy.

The changes expected from us?
  • Need to add more cooking oil in his food and milk (maybe I'll skip the milk part. I honestly did not want to upset his tummy or cause any indigestion)
  • Need to meet the minimum 150ml to 180ml per milk feed, 4 feeds a day (I faced problem in squeezing in 4 feeds, 2 meals from 7am to 9pm. What could I do if C refuses to drink?)
  • Need to switch from giving blended to soft chunkier food (Didn't they last advised me to continue with blended food as tolerated? Why risk choking on foods he cannnot chew and swallow?)
  • Need to stop syringe-feeding him water and to use a straw / cup instead. That way I have better control over how much he drinks (fact: syringe gives me more control than letting C drinks from a straw or cup).

That did not go down too well with me because they were adding on issues on hand instead of offering solutions to my problems. I'm just going to try my best, stick to what works best for C.

No comments:

Post a Comment